Thursday, February 25, 2010

Iris

Blue is the color of you.
Like water, the Puget Sound
all crystalline and endless shimmer. 

I remember driving up Highway 101 with you
the Sound to our left, east-like
a giant never-ending plate of glass
as cobalt and honorable as your eyes.

Funny sounding Native names 
like Chimicum
dotted the roadside and old pine 
firework stands sat rotting away in April's rain.

Almost to Port Townsend
a lake on the right, to the East where
hundreds of Canadian geese flocked 
and flew 
and lived,
and here a place
you found joy.

I remember when you made this discovery
how excited you were
and we drove there together
and we watched them fly in
great aerial waves of white and silver and cerulean,
swarming above, a great
silent blessing.

I never cared much about birds before,
let alone Canadian geese. But you had learned 
to love them then,
to see the beauty in their winged dance.
So too then, did I.

And then,
then you died...
and there they were.
Everywhere above me,
all of sudden it seemed the geese,
and the pidgeons, and
the seagulls and 
the blackbirds.

All of them
flew by me, in front of me,
around me and above me in large swoops and 
V formations and I wondered then what I know now,
was it a sign?
Maybe you were still nearby. 

Tonight I sat in the bathtub 
thinking about what a hard winter it's been.
Feeling slightly lost, confused
and alone.
I wasn't thinking about you right then,
not really. I was reading 
one of my many dozen poetry anthologies
and I came across this poem
and then I thought of those Canadian geese
and of birds
and of you
and I felt again like I do whenever I see 
them flying above me, that 
maybe you are here somewhere after all, 
taking away my breath
and guiding me home...




Not Swans
by Susan Ludvigson

I drive toward distant clouds and my mother's dying.
The quickened sky is mercury, it slithers
across the horizon. Against the liquid silence,
a V of birds crosses-sudden and silver.

They tilt, becoming white light as they turn, glitter
like shooting stars arcing slow motion out of the abyss,
not falling.

Now they look like chips of flint,
the arrow broken.
I think. This isn't myth-
they are not sings, not souls.

Reaching blue 
again, they're ordinary ducks or maybe
Canadian geese. Veering away they shoot 
into the west, too far for my eyes, aching

as they do.

Never mind what I said
before. Those birds took my breath. I new what it meant.




No comments: