Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fall Baby


When the sun begins its retreat after dinner but before dessert, excitement swells
For this girl born on the first day of Autumn hasn't yet forgotten of which season she came
Together now you and I stroll hand in hand as the velvety evening breeze musses my hair and freckles your rosy cheeks for one last time
The sugary smell of sweet peas and aroma of freshly clipped grass grows my grin wide with pleasure and tickles your nose crazy I know
Children down the street scream and yelp with glee and happiness of another glorious summer day done
September is here and summer will finally begin to loosen is stifling hot grip
Soon the leaves will begin to ripen into old age and wither
first growing chartreuse in color and then as scarlet and bloody as an August sunset
I will shake out my wool sweaters in anticipation of all things warm and cozy
As memories of cold nights spent toasting marshmallows in the fireplace and plucking the last few grapes off the vine bring me back to home
I can't wait for big fat raindrops to kiss my eyelashes hello again and drip down to the tip of my nose Fall is almost here and I am happy again.

No comments: